Thursday, January 6, 2011

I love Utah

I am from Utah.  I love Utah. I would probably like to live in Utah someday in the future.  As you can tell, I am a die-hard Utah fan, (not the Utah Utes, but the state Utah ;)).  Chris asked us to post a second time and tell an idea on what we may want to write on in our opinion editorials.  I'm not sure what I would like to do quite yet but I think I have an idea.  I would like to emphasize to BYU students that growing up in Utah is not that bad.  I love all the people here at BYU but I am surprised how many of them dislike Utah.  The most common phrases I hear are, "Ew, Utah has the worst weather," "Utah is a big bubble and you don't get to really live life," "Utah people think they know it all," "I never want to live here when I'm older."  I am surprised at how many bashes I get on Utah everyday.  Now I'm not trying to offend anyone at all.  That is not my point. I actually look up to people who have lived out of state and can stick up for their testimony and the church where ever they go. Most people in Utah are LDS so I don't have to stick up for my beliefs alot and i don't know if I'd be strong to do that if the situation arose.  I really admire those who do that.  So in my opinion editorial, I do hope that I may help others to see that Utah is a good place and not as bad as they think.  I understand that people have different tastes of where they like to live; but let's be more considerate to those who love it here. What do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. I will be the first to admit that some of those comments have slipped out of my mouth, not consistently, but you get it. But I too was surprised at how often I hear it, and to me it does feel like people are just borderline obsessive about how much they hate Utah. And if that is the case, then LEAVE!!! You knew when you signed up for school that Utah was going to be different, whether it was the weather or the atmosphere. You are here now, so deal with it. There are plenty of other schools that are decent and maybe more suited to your liking. And no, I am not from Utah, I'm from Alaska. Maybe I'm more sensitive to this matter because Alaska gets bashed a lot too. But still, I agree with you Sid. You may not like Utah, but be sensitive to other people's feelings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting that people say you don't really get to "live life" in Utah. I've heard the whole bubble thing being used to describe BYU as well and it drives me insane!! Having lived in a bunch of places where there are NO mormons I feel like I actually CAN live my life here for the first time without being criticized or judged for my beliefs. Anyways, Utah is beautiful and I love it here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great reading about how much you love Utah, it's always awesome being proud of where you're from, I definitely know how you feel, but about HI not UT, haha. However, if you can throw your opinion out there, then you should! It'd probably be helpful to see what other people from here say about living in Utah.

    -mmg

    ReplyDelete